Friday, September 6, 2013 from 1:00 – 2:30 pm EDT
This webinar, hosted by SAMHSA’s GAINS Center for Behavioral Health and Justice Transformation, will introduce the “Guidelines for Care for Transitioning from Jails and Prisons for Persons with Behavioral Health Disorders.” Developed in collaboration with the Council of State Governments Justice Center with support from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), the guidelines promote the behavioral health and criminal justice partnerships that are necessary to develop successful approaches to identify which persons need services, what services they need, and how to match these needs upon transition to community-based treatment and supervision. In addition to an overview of the guidelines themselves, nationally recognized experts on individuals with mental and co-occurring substance use disorders in the justice system will:
• introduce the underlying key principles and evidence-based practices; and
• discuss the application of the guidelines to make communities safer, use resources efficiently and effectively, and advance individual recovery.
• Henry J. Steadman, PhD, President, Policy Research Associates
• Fred C. Osher, MD, Director, Director, Health Services and Systems Policy, Council of State Governments Justice Center
• Steve Allen, MSSW, Executive Director, DHS Direct Care at State of Minnesota
*A summary document will be available following the webinar and the full document will be released at the end of September*