Schizophrenia and Related Disorders Alliance of America promotes improvement in the lives of people with schizophrenia-related illnesses and their families by providing support, hope, and awareness so that early diagnosis, treatment, and community services increase recovery.
Our vision is that every person with schizophrenia or a related disorder (mental illness involving psychosis) achieves recovery and a full life in a compassionate community free of stigma and discrimination.
- To promote hope and recovery for persons with schizophrenia and related disorders.
- To eliminate the stigma and myths about schizophrenia.
- To raise awareness so that early diagnosis and treatment increase the chance of recovery.
- To ensure that consumer-driven and recovery-oriented services are fully accessible.
- Provide technical support for Schizophrenics Alliance (SA), a peer support/self-help step program for persons who have schizophrenia or a related illness.
- Friends and Family Support Conference Call (FFS), a peer support group for family members and friends of those affected by schizophrenia-related disorders.
- Public education campaigns to increase schizophrenia awareness and early diagnosis, and to eliminate stigma and discrimination.
- An online resource library of promising and evidence-based practices, the latest research, and other information for treatment professionals.
- Advocacy at the federal, state and local levels for mental health policies and funding that support the recovery of people with schizophrenia and related disorders.
- Information and referral for people with schizophrenia-related disorders, their families, professionals and the public including:
- Our website, which provides accurate and current information about the causes of schizophrenia, treatments and recovery tools.
- Personal stories of recovery and hope from people with schizophrenia and related disorders
- A Speakers Bureau of people with expertise about schizophrenia-related disorders, including individuals living with the illness, family members and professionals.
What We Do
- Support and train schizophrenics alliance (SA) groups
- Organize conferences and workshops for professionals and consumers
- Sponsor weekly schizophrenics alliance conference call
- Sponsor weekly family & friends support conference call
- Advocate at federal, state and local levels
- Assist in public education campaigns
- Provide online resource library
- Publish monthly eNewsletter
- Provide speaker’s bureau for events