What is Schizophrenics Alliance?
Schizophrenics Alliance (SA) is a self-help group for persons who have schizophrenia or a schizophrenia-related illness. SA was founded in the Detroit area in July of 1985 and since that time, thousands of people have participated in meetings. There are currently more than 150 groups meeting throughout 31 states, as well as Australia, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, France, India and Venezuela.
Statement of Purpose: Schizophrenics Alliance is organized and managed by persons experiencing schizophrenia or a related disorder. It is administered in partnership with SARDAA. The SA statement of purpose is as follows:
- To help restore dignity and sense of purpose for persons who are working for recovery from schizophrenia or related disorders.
- To offer fellowship, positive support, and companionship in order to achieve good mental health.
- To improve our own attitudes about our lives and our illness.
- To provide members with latest information regarding schizophrenia.
- To encourage members to take positive steps towards recovery from the illness.